Someone once said, “Time flies when you are having fun,” and for the members of Mama, never a truer word was spoken.
Formed in late 2011, Mama announced their arrival with a website headline, The World is about to be rocked again by the music of Genesis. Rehearsals started in January 2012 and over the past five years the band has worked hard to perform the music of Genesis live in theatres all over the UK.
A first time for everyone
The first show was at the Pacific Road Arts Centre in Birkenhead on Friday 23rd March 2012 and by sheer coincidence the band are back on the Wirral to celebrate their five year anniversary in March 2017. Two performances are lined up at the Floral Hall in New Brighton on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th March.
That big number…. 100!
A five year anniversary is one thing but chalking up 100 shows is something else. This Friday (27th Jan) the band will be back in Liverpool at one of their all time favourite venues, The Cavern, and this concert will be Mama’s 100th show! Being the first tribute band to sell out The Cavern is something special so returning there to celebrate 100 gigs is perfect timing.
The line-up may have evolved since that first gig in Birkenhead but for John W, John C and James, this really is 100 shows. Another evolution is round the corner as James is soon stepping down from the drum stool but he will be playing at the Cavern this Friday and returning for one of the two evenings in March. Plus, as if that wasn’t enough, the band will be playing overseas for the first time with two dates in Holland coming up in June.
You want more Genesis?
More? Well the summer sees a return to Tribfest in August when for four days tribute bands from all over the world will be bringing the music of their favourites to life – and that is where it all started for Mama with that announcement in 2011!
We hope to see you at a show or two in 2017 – keeping the music of Genesis alive!
Check out some of our more memorable moments here:
- Our very first rehearsal video – Post from 9th January 2012
- The story of our launch weekend – Post from 25th March 2012
- Many Too Many / Musical Box video from our first show – Post from 30th March 2012
- Our very first TWR Online review – Post from 10th June 2012
- The announcement of our very own prog festival – Post from 26th September 2012
- Tribfest 2013 video – Post from 3rd September 2013
- DrumCam – Post from 13th February 2014
- Split screen multicam shoot of In The Cage Medley – Post from 29th April 2014
- Videos from Davey Jones first ever show – Post from 24th September 2014
- Dave’s infamous Tour Log – Post from 9th March 2015
- The confusingly named Five Tracks Live – Post from 23rd July 2015
- Rocking Solihull – Post from 26th November 2015
- What it takes to put together a Mama show – Post from 1st April 2016
- Drummers talking Drumming – Post from 15th June 2016
- External (to Mama) musical projects – Post from 12th September 2016
- Investing in lights (videos) – Post from 17th October 2016
The band really would like to thank each and every person who has supported us for all our shows. From those who buy tickets to others who repeatedly buy tickets again and again. Then there are the people who promote our shows and come along to shows with us to help with gear. Not forgetting of course, the past members of the band and crew who helped us build (and continue building) this brilliantly fun thing we love doing. There really are Many Too Many people to even think about listing individual names. Suffice to say…. You all know who you are, what you’ve done for us and deserve a massive thanks!
Here’s hoping to see some of you at The Cavern on Friday night. It’ll be a night to remember. 🙂
Please do tell us YOUR Genesis story, in the comments section below….